Here are tips -- courtesy of the Flooring Expressions Floor Care on what homeowners can do during cold weather:
- Keep garage doors closed if there are water supply lines in the garage;
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing;
- When the weather is extremely cold outside, let the cold water drip from the faucet served by expose pipes. Running water through the pipe helps prevent freezing;
- Keep the thermostat set to the same temperature both during the day and at night;
- If you are going to be away during cold weather, leave the heat on and set to a temperature no lower than 55 degrees.
- Keep the faucet open -- running water through the pipe will help melt ice.
- Apply heat to the section of pipe using an electric heating pad wrapped around the pipe, an electric hair dryer, a portable space heater (kept away from flammable materials), or by wrapping pipes with towels soaked in hot water.
- If you are unable to locate the frozen area, if the frozen area is not accessible, or if you can not thaw the pipe, call a licensed plumber.
If you have any other questions concerning if you have a frozen pipe, how to prevent them or if it has already frozen and you need a professional company to repair your home, please feel free to call us at Flooring Expressions Floor Care (317) 313-1313